Welcome to The Hudson School IT Department's Knowledge Base.
If you were looking for The Hudson School's website, click here.
This knowledge base is intended for use by the students and staff of The Hudson School. If you are not associated with the school, feel free to browse, but understand that the information in this site is tailored for the school's IT environment-and may not work for you. Also, all information on this site is provided as-is and you use it at your own risk.
How to use the Helpdesk effictively!
The helpdesk system is a tool that has several benefits including:
1. It provides an efficient way to contact the IT department about issues. When you email the helpdesk - an email goes out to all members of the IT department.
2. It tracks issues. The system keeps track of tickets, and if one device has multiple issues that may signify a bigger issue with that device, the IT staff will see it and act accordingly.
3. Helpdisk tickets don't get forgotten.
The sophistication of scamming emails has increased. This article will hopefully help you protect yourself.
How to identify a scamming email:
- Has this person ever sent me spam before? Is there a sudden barrage of nonsensical spam emails from this person (an indicator that their email is hacked)?
- If the email tells you to open an attachment, you should not do this. Only open attachments you know are coming to you.
- If there is a link in the email, hover your cursor over it (but do not click it!). This often reveals that the real location the link will take you is a (phishing) website you have never even heard of.
Useful windows keyboard shortcuts:
1. Start Progams that are located in your Task Bar
Win + 1,2,3 etc They will start in the order they appear in the task bar
2. Maximize and restore size of your current window
Win + up and Win+down
3. Create A New Folder
Ctrl+Shift+N Would be faster than right clicking and selecting create new I think.